Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do to Deserve This?

Recent console games have not caught any of my attention. It's the same few mechanics over and over again. They're all tired.

There is one PSP game, however, that I've found pretty interesting of late. Published by Sony Entertainment Japan (of Loco Roco and Patapon), its called 'Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do to Deserve This?'.

The premise is pretty simple. Players take up the disembodied pickaxe of the God of Destruction -summoned into the world by Overlord Badman. Your goal is to design and cultivate a dungeon of creeps and monsters to ward off incoming heroes.

The interesting part of the game is that there isn't anything to do but to dig. The entire dungeon ecology is AI driven; the monsters, heroes, plants, bugs, etc.. all roam around on their own. This allows the game to be incredibly simple to play, but still incorporating tonnes of depth. The story mode can be played over and over again, where each time I feel like I'm learning something new for the next time I play. It's very interesting.

I see that the sequel is already out in Japan, damn those Japanese...

No comments: