Friday, February 11, 2005

We have a Winner

Yes. I am here to talk about the PSP (playstation portable) handheld again. I guess I just can't stop mentioning the potential of this 'premium gagdet' taking upon the world near us. If there is anybody that will stop Apple from dominating the portable media device market, Sony will be it.
Sure, $250 retail in the States is not exactly a budget price, but I believe Sony decided on this because it has the power to do so. It would have killed all competition (aka Nintendo's dominant gameboy market) if it had decided to retail it at $200. Sony knows even at $250 a pop, the first million shipment of PSPs will sell out in March (it is already sold out as I speak today). 800,000 units were sold out within the first couple hours in Japan on December, and I don't see any reason why it will be any different half way across the world this time.
I never thought the DS and PSP were competitors because they targeted a different audience. But my predictions are that unless the Nintendo gets its act together (such as dropping the price as soon as it can), the DS will get knocked out before it knows it. Its not that the DS is an incapable machine, its just that the games for it right now are close to worthless. Not to mention round 2 of games are just as much sleepers as of those it started off with.
While on the other hand, the PSP has around 24 games lined up for launch(5 of which will be ready to be played online through a hotspot, and ~4 of them worth buying). Not to mention the device also acts both as a video/mp3 player. Seriously, $250 is equivalent to an iPod-Mini, I'm a music freak but would still choose the PSP instead.

Then again, this is all just a bunch of my speculation. My vision is that the PSP will be a sure fire hit in the next 2+ years or so. It will change portable gaming forever. Oh and yeah, I already pre-ordered 5 PSPs.

No comments: