Thursday, October 07, 2004

The idea of video game recommendations/reviews sounded like a pleasant spice to my blog last night...(self realization: GEEK! GEEK! GEEK!! (oo);; )

Before I start, I want you to please keep in mind I am a true gamer. This might not mean a lot to some people, but those that play and live games will comprehend those words (Haha). When I play and review a game, I focus on factors such as whether the game is truly fun, innovative, original and appealing. Graphics and sound are of concern too, but unfortunately I must say they are at the end of my priority list. Incredible graphics do not make games fun, they are only additional bonuses.
I often only play a game for 5-15 minutes because most of them are usually boring if you play any further. I often feel that the heart of the game is already experienced within these 5-15 minutes. Whether it is a role playing or platform game, if the game does not allow me to easily immerse into it...I will find it boring. I hate playing games where after the first 2-3 levels, I consciously realize I'm repeating the same formula to progress through the game. Such formulas include the hack and slash, obtaining experience through tedious combat, running the same plays, create/maintain/destroy, etc...

## Wario Ware, Inc: Mega Microgames – Nintendo (GBA, GameCube) ## This is one of those rare games that took me by surprise. Its fast, easy to learn and exciting. I definitely give it thumbs up for its original canny design. As soon as I started playing, my hands did not let go of the controller until I finished it. I would recommend this game to players who are looking for a quick, enjoyable and addictive game experience...especially since only the D-pad and A button are used, simplicity to learn is what makes Wario Ware inviting.
The concept of the game is to throw an assortment of different five-second challenges at the gamer, and they'll not only have to figure out what to do and how to do it, they'll also need to accomplish the task before the clock runs out and the game moves on to the next challenge.
I would encourage both casual and gaming veterans to check this game out. Let me know and I can send you the rom.....for evaluation purposes only! =)


Will be back with more gaming reviews.

Erik.

No comments: